Sunday, March 21, 2010

INITIAL ENTRY (NEURO)

Tomorrow I start my Neuro placement at the Well-Tel Centre (part of Shenton Park Hospital). From what I can gather, it is a place that provides accommodation for people undergoing rehab or other services, but do not necessarily need to be admitted as an inpatient, in a ward environment. This will mean that the patients have much more independence and are in a less acute phase of their illness/recovery. For me, I think this means that the patients will be well versed in self care and will require more high level rehabilitation.

NATURE
I found it quite difficult to find much information on the Centre, but speaking to students who went previously confirmed my above ideas. The Centre is almost like a 'halfway house' for those who don't really need to be in hospital. Thus, PT sessions can be much more intensive, up to an hour of one on one work. As the patients are no longer acute, I think I will need to be prepared for 'later stage' training, ie: the final stages of motor recovery/high level balance work/coordination and power etc, all those things that make up a more 'normal' movement (as opposed to initial periods of flaccidity immediately following stroke for example.)

STRUCTURE
I have only been in outpatient and hospital settings, so as far as the structure of the Well-tel centre is concerned, I think I may be in for a whole new experience!! I imagine it will be similar to an outpatient setting, with patients seeing you at previously booked times, but then they can go back to their rooms! Similar to a hotel or boarding house! I am also curious to see if they run any group sessions. I think it would be a great way to exercise as patients there for a week or more would most likely make friends (if it's similar to a hotel environment?) -this could be a great motivation!!

ROLE
I also found out I will be dealing mostly with disorders like multiple sclerosis, acquired brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and potentially some amputees. I think my role as a student will be to perform one on one rehab sessions with these patients, involving more high level and independent activities. I think I will become more of a 'supervisor' and less of an 'assistant' as patients at this Centre are independent, and will need more supervision of programs to ensure they're doing it correctly at home. I think I will also become an educator. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to live with MS, and I think I will need to be on the ball with advice, encouragement and support. I think my role is also going to be to learn as much as I can. As I understand from Ali, there are many different ways to approach neuro rehab, and I am hoping to learn many new skills, as well as consolidate those I already have.

CONCERNS
I have SO many concerns about this placement! I feel like my past 2 placements were very MSK based, and thus I have a much better idea about the MSK subjective and objective assessments and treatment techniques. (Not to mention more confidence!) I also missed the first placement as I was doing my project. We were told that now supervisors are less lenient and expect more because it is placement number two...but I am behind. I literally haven't seen any patients since Collie last year! I don't know if I trust myself. Plus, I have my usual worry about not living up to my own expectations or those of my supervisors...but that is nothing new:)

But, if it's anything like my previous 2 placements, I will love every second of it!!

No comments: