Friday, August 28, 2009

end of prac

I am so glad I got to go to Collie. I can’t express enough just how much fun I had. I could have never imagined myself working in the country, but now it definitely seems like a fantastic option. I think the reason that I loved it so much was because of the people, everyone at the hospital made me feel so welcome and part of their team, I couldn't have asked for more!

ISSUE ONE: I think I am mainly nervous about being away for so long and feeling like there will be less people to ask for help. I am also worried about our accommodation. Jess and I might be a bit lonely if we’re the only people there.
Not at all an issue! There were more people to ask and everyone was willing to stop and give you a hand! Also, the accommodation was great. There were quite a few other students there and I made a really great friend with an OT student from curtin. We might go back for a Collie road trip together!

ISSUE TWO: Diversity, small country town hospital and a small allied health team?
I did see a much more diverse range of things! I had cardio, peads, neuro, WH, ortho and MSK patients….a bit of everything! It made a FANTASTIC earning experience, I feel like I have seen so much. I also got to look after he ward and see people in an acute setting which was great! The hospital was a lot quieter though than my previous, but it meant you could put more time into patient preparation and care, so it wasn’t the downfall I expected!
The allied health team was huge, and very inclusive. You could ask anyone for help and there were constant inter-departmental referrals.

All in all, best prac ever!

No comments: