Saturday, August 1, 2009

week 1

One week down of my placement! It’s been going really well, but I don’t feel as though I have much to report on as I have only been observing the 4th year student and my supervisor rather than getting my own hands on opportunities, that’s not to say I haven’t learnt anything though, or had fun. Also, I'm finding it's A LOT quieter in the country as opposed to perth!!! Next week I have been able to book in patients so that will be more challenging. I have 3 post natal referrals which I’m especially looking forward to as we haven’t had that much practical exposure yet, I don’t know if I should be nervous or excited!

S- A ‘no falls’ class for clients referred with balance issues. The class focuses on stretching, strengthening, lots of balance work, mobility and multitasking.
T- Take the class (which I had never seen only once before) while my supervisor worked one on one with an elderly gentleman who needed quite a lot of extra help.
A- I took the class and we ran through some gentle arm weights, leg strengthening and balance work. We also did some walking while bouncing the ball to encourage multi-tasking.
R-The class worked well and enjoyed the exercises I gave them.
E-I think that I did a good job in that I was confident and enthusiastic, but next time I think I could definitely branch out a bit more. I stayed on the same track that my supervisor follows but I think I could spice up the program with some of my own ideas.
S- I’m going to go and have a look through some of our past notes/lectures and find some new and exciting exercises that the class can do. Especially some new balance work.

No comments: