Wednesday, November 5, 2008

week 4 reflection 2

Today I saw a patient 6 weeks post a R ACL recon and medial menisectomy. I have one other patient who had an ACL recon and she was 8 weeks post so i thought i knew what I'd be in for. My 8 week-er came in with a limp, 1 crutch and nowhere near full range. The 6 week post boy i had today came in with no crutches and walked as if he had never even had surgery! I couldn't believe it!! He was super fit previous to his accident though which clearly makes a huge difference! It just gos to show you can never really assume you know whats coming! Looking back over my treatment I think I did a good Job of educating him. Because his knee felt amazing he wasn't really sticking to the guidelines. I made sure I educated him that his graft was coming up to its weakest phase and that he probably had to be more careful now than ever. He was only 19 though so maybe I was a bit too casual as he is close to my age... perhaps i needed to drum it in a bit more. I also felt that I could have given him a few more exciting exercises as he said he didn't really do his HEP as it was a bit easy and boring.

No comments: