Friday, November 14, 2008

week 5 reflection 2

My horrible shoulder patient was due to come in today. I had spoken to my supervisor about how to cope with the situation. (He knew she wasn't so nice as he, and all the other physios, heard her yelling at me last week during the lunch break...she was half an hour late so i had to give up lunch!) He basically told me that i should not take it personally, that he would have done the exact same things as me as the cause of her problem is poor posture...leading to her impingement. She just doesn't want to be the one to take control of the problem, she would like completely passive treatment. Our supervisor also doesn't believe in treating pain and symptoms, because it will have absolutely no effect when she goes home, her posture hasn't changed and so neither will the problem. He suggested however that we should try Ultrasound as a last resort as it was on her referral (which was for frozen shoulder anyway and not correct) . It was what she believed she needed. That way, when she is sent back to the doctor we can at least say we tried the doctors suggestion. She will most probably then have a surgery and be sent back to physio with the same problems anyway as she will still have poor posture!! Anyway...she cancelled her appointment, what a weight lifted off my shoulders. But re-shedualed for my very last day! I definitely don't want a negative spin put on my entire experience so i need a good plan!

No comments: