Saturday, October 25, 2008

week 2

its been another very busy few days. I've really come to learn that you can never go in thinking you'll know what you're going to see. Arni and I prep for our patients every morning, and each time i have mental picture of what im going to do...and am shocked every time when it doesn't go to plan:) I'm only just beginning to used to it...everyone and their presentation is different.

I've also learnt that physio is a lot about education. For example, I had a patient last week who was 3 months post a bimalleolar fracture. Her doctor sent in her most recent x-rays which indicated her ankle was becoming osteoporotic and was necrosing due to disuse. I was really interested to see what she was doing and how her ankle was coming along. When she walked in I was so shocked to see her NWB with elbow crutches...3 months after her surgery! I asked her why she was still using cruthes and she said she didn't know! she wasn't in any pain but no-one had told her if it was safe to walk! i felt so sad for her. We spent the entire session rebuilding her confidence and retraining her gait...which you can imagine was very poor! hopefully she left feeling better about her ankle and her plan to get her back to her pre-injury condition!

No comments: